The Single Pitch Award (SPA) trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to supervise climbers on single pitch outdoor climbing crags and climbing walls. Common activities undertaken by an SPA holder will be roped climbing and bouldering. The SPA does not include the skills and techniques required to teach lead climbing.
The SPA consists of six stages
- Be an active climber having climbed for 12 months and led at least 15 traditional climbs
- Register for the Single Pitch Award-through your home nation training board
- Attend a training course (usually 2 days)
- Consolidate your experience by leading at least 40 traditional climbs,and assisting with 20 group sessions, both on a variety of rock types
- Attend a 2 day assessment
- Continuous professional development / other awards