The Climbing Wall Leading Award (CWLA) trains and assesses candidates to teach lead climbing on artificial climbing walls with fixed protection. It builds on the skills acquired in either the Climbing Award Scheme or Single Pitch Award, one of which candidates must hold to access the CWLA scheme.
The CWLA award consists of six stages
- Hold either the SPA or CWA award, or both and be confident leading climbs at fr 6a
- Register for the CWLA with your home nation training board
- Attend a 1 day training course
- Consolidate your experience by leading at least 100 routes at fr 6a or above. Assist on at least 5 sessions teaching lead climbing
- Atend a 1 day assessment
- Continuous professional development / other awards